We're Hiring! Director of State Initiatives
As a member of the senior leadership team, the Director of State Initiatives leads organization-wide efforts to leverage and align the expertise of community partners, staff, fellows, technical experts, and allies within academia, government, and the non-profit, philanthropic and private sectors to shape, implement, and evaluate state and federal policies that deliver measurable and meaningful benefits to BIPOC communities most impacted by climate change. A core responsibility is to provide strategic oversight, coordination and management of the State Strategy Innovation Hub to respond to partners’ needs and priorities, fill gaps in research or policy strategy, and bring new voices to the table around the fundamental ways in which the climate crisis intersects with all aspects of our lives, including health, housing, transportation, and economic mobility.
This position brings a strong foundational knowledge of the federal and state policy landscape and understands how to use policy, advocacy, and litigation to advance the mission and priorities of Just Solutions. As Just Solutions enters a period of significant growth, this is an opportunity for a seasoned leader to shape organization-wide vision, strategy and development. This position reports to the Senior Director of Strategic Initiatives.
Below are specific required and preferred skills and abilities for this position.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Minimum 8+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Significant campaign experience at the director level working to advance state policy, including multi-region or multi-state organizing efforts.
- Ability to manage and lead large and complex programs and motivate and guide individuals and teams to deliver high quality work on time and within budget.
- Demonstrated ability to work across issues, sectors, and geographies to build effective coalitions and networks in support of policy and social change.
- Experience building relationships with elected officials, agency staff, and other key policy stakeholders at the state and federal level.
- Experience leveraging research and policy analysis to inform public policy debates and achieve policy change, in particular with racial and economic justice as a core element of the work.
- Highly strategic thinker who is solutions-oriented and able to push past roadblocks, with a track record of strategy development for long-term policy plans/campaigns.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative context, both internally and externally.
- Understanding of policies that intersect with the movement for climate justice.
- Experience working in highly diverse teams and organizations.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector either as a paid employee or a volunteer.
- Passion for Just Solutions’ purpose and commitment to racial, social, and environmental justice.
For a complete overview of the position summary, job responsibilities, qualifications and more, please view the job description here.
Salary: $130,000- $150,000
Reports to: Senior Director of Strategic Initiatives
Please submit a current resume and cover letter outlining your interest in the position and capacity to do the job.
The cover letter can be addressed to Aiko Schaefer, Executive Director, and applications sent via email to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until Friday, March 31st. The position will remain open until filled. Applicants who do not follow these instructions will not be considered.